Tuesday, May 5, 2015

When Disaster Strikes......

Dear Fellow Reader,

Well, yesterday disaster stuck for me in the kitchen. I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

For starters, I missed my bus. I was all ready to go (keys in pocket, jacket on, the whole nine yards). That is until I looked down and saw that my badge was not on my pants and I had that "oh s**t!" moment and ran as fast as I could (no seriously, I do not think I ran as fast as I did yesterday then in my whole entire life) up four flights of stairs, all the way to my door, unlocked my door, ran through the door, launched for my badge that was on the kitchen counter, launched back out the door, slammed the door, then back down four flights of stairs, all the way to the stop only to find no bus in sight (man, it must of been exhausting just reading that!) So as I was trying to catch my breath I called the cab service to rent a cab (The lady on the phone must of thought I was having a stroke). So ten minutes later the cab arrived and I was off to work.

Then I got to work and things were fine until about the lunch shift. We had so much noodles to prep for tomorrow it was unreal, and I was put in charge to cut and pre-cook all of them. The second incident happened when the tilting skillet was getting cleaned out and tipped over and left my pants drenched in water. Oh, and the soap bucket was next to it and fell on my pants as well, so my pants were not only wet, but also soapy. After I got that all cleaned up, I needed to start cooking some rainbow chard for lunch service, while continuing to cook these damn noodles. I cooked the noodles in one large pot with a spicket and the tilting skillet. Well while I was straining my second batch of noodles I forgot I left on the heat on my chard and the pot burned and ruined the batch. So I quickly had to run and grab a new pot to cook a fresh batch. Then i completed straining my second batch and starting filling up the pot with fresh water for the third.

Now here is where things get super crazy. In the kitchen we have a fosset on the line so we can fill up big pots without having to carry huge jugs of water. Well the top of the fosset came loose, blew off, knocked my glasses off and water was shooting straight up in the ceiling. Yea, it was just peachy. So that took an additional fifteen to twenty minutes of my time that I could of used to cook my noodles. My goal was to have all noodles done by 1:30. They were not done until 2:45. After all the noodles were cooked and put on sheet pans and in the fridge, I cleaned up my station, grabbed my things and left the kitchen before anything else would happen to me. I got on the bus (I didn't miss it this time) and plugged in my iPhone and listened to some calming music until I got back to my apartment.

Once I got back to my apartment, I dropped my things, threw my dirty chef pants in the washer, put on my swimsuit and headed straight to the hot tub, where I spent a good twenty minutes just resting in the peace and quiet (it was amazing). I then came back, ate dinner, grabbed the pint of coffee ice cream from the freezer, put it a movie and ate the whole entire pint. It was very relaxing and what I looked at as the highlight of my day.

And thus ended my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

Thank you jesus for hot tubs and coffee ice cream. Thank you for your condolences fellow reader.

1 comment:

  1. We loved this story. Your voice came through so clearly that we could hear you sitting at the kitchen island telling your tale of woe. Hope tomorrow is a better day!

    ReplyDelete