Saturday, May 23, 2015

Rom Coms

Dear Fellow Reader,

Well, it has been 10 days since I posted. Yea, I know. I slacked, again. I think its something you guys are just gonna have to get over, I'm just so damn busy throughout the week that when I get home all I wanna do is go to the hot tub or sleep! But I have some nice downtime this weekend so I figured I would give some TLC to the blog. 

Well this week got me thinking about an interesting topic. My roommate and I have different tastes in movies. She's more into the cheesy sappy romantic comedies that no matter what have a happy ending. I on the other hand, am not. I just never got into them. So she asked "What romantic comedies do you like?' and it took me a while but I came up with an answer. 

I divided my answer into four- The Ace, King, Queen, and Jack. So here goes nothing.

The Ace:
Annie Hall- 1977
Staring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton 



There are Woody Allen haters and Woody Allen lovers. I am somewhere in-between. Typically I like the movies that he doesn't star in more, but Annie Hall is definitely an exception. 

Woody Allen plays his typical character, an overanxious hypochondriac with an inept social life. But its Diane Keaton who really makes this film amusing. She plays a young night club singer who combines being earnestly sweet, uproariously funny and slightly insane. The film chronicles their relationship and shows that love can be formed even between the oddest of couples. 

The King:
Lost in Translation- 2003
Starring: Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson 



Writer/Director Sofia Coppola crafted this heart warming masterpiece of two lost souls who found each other in a foreign landscape. Its not a in-your-face kind of movie, its quite the opposite. It is a low key and mild story on how two unlikely people, both unhappy in their current relationship, find happiness with each other while living in Tokyo. It blends humor, wit, love and two powerhouse performances from the film's dynamic duo. 

The Queen:
Shakespeare In Love- 1998
Staring: Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Fiennes, Geoffrey Rush, Judi Dench 



The story of how Romeo found his Juliet..kind of. A young and down-on-his-luck William Shakespeare is at a loss for inspiration for a new play until he meets Viola De Lesseps, a wealthy young lady who has a passion for theatre. They form a passionate relationship that helps Shakespeare write his tragedy that they perform for the Queen, Romeo and Juliet. It is endlessly witty and sweetly romantic. The cast is phenomenal and Gwyneth Paltrow, in an academy award winning performance, shines as a young lady who must disguise herself as a man in order to perform in the theatre. 

The Jack:
Silver Linings Playbook- 2012 
Staring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, Jacki Weaver 



Everyone's family is slightly crazy, so we can all channel our inner family narcotic-ism and relate with this hysterical and touching rom com. Pat is released from a rehab facility after being treated for bipolar disorder and can't get over the break up of his ex who cheated on him. His father has OCD and their family has a love for the Philadelphia Eagles. Pat meets Tiffany Maxwell, a woman who lost her husband and her job, and they form a relationship. They enter a dance competition and even though they don't win they realize how much they mean to each other and end up together. Its a wonderful feel-good movie. 

So there you have it. The romantic comedies in this world that I actually enjoy. That's all for now fellow reader. 

1 comment:

  1. Great Choices! You need to watch the movie Way Way Back!!

    ReplyDelete