Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A question from a reader!!!

Dear Fellow Reader,

Guess what everyone?!?!? A reader wrote a question to me. Do you know what that means??? People like me!! And there are human beings out in this world reading my blog! 



But anyway the question was very interesting and I enjoyed developing my answer. The question read:

"What are the ten books that you have read that you feel has made an impact in your life?"


Isn't that just a great question? I think so. 


I don't love reading. There I said it. I used to hate reading actually. But there are some books that I completely adore and here they are! 


1.STONE SOUP by Marilyn Sapienza- The book that was read to me every night before I went to bed. i loved the story, the pictures, and it was definitely my first classic.


2.CHICKEN SOUP WITH RICE by Maurice Sendak- This taught me that reading can be exciting and also taught me the months of the year. And my favorite soup my nana would make is chicken and rice soup, and it was heavenly. 



3. THE TALE OF DESPEREAUX by Kate DiCamillo- The Ultimate adventure novel, and the first book that I could not put down.


4 & 5. MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING by Julia Child & KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL by Anthony Bourdain- The books that helped spark my love for cooking, and helped me realized i want to be a chef for the rest of my life.



6. OUT OF AFRICA by Isak Dinesen- I was never a huge biography guy, but during my sophomore year of high school I came across this story of a Danish author who ran a coffee plantation in Nairobi and became obsessed with her life. The story really sucked me in and took me on an adventure (and her life is incredibly fascinating). Then one day while I was flipping through the channels I saw a movie called "Out of Africa" and realized it was all about Karen Blixen (her pen name is Isak Dinesen) and I fell in love with the movie as well. Its a really good book, and movie too!



7. THE EXORCIST by William Peter Blatty- I read this when i was in 7th grade. it was gruesome, terrifying, and even gave me nightmares. It was horrifying, but sucked me in. It is one of the many reasons why i love horror films.


8. THE ENGLISH PATIENT by Michael Ondaatje- This was the book that taught me how to critical read. Its an incredibly complex and beautiful story, and has so much meaning and very moving. Reading this was one of the best decisions i ever made. Its another book that was turned into a movie and the movie is incredible, one of my favorites.


9. HAMLET by Shakespeare- I am not a Shakespeare kind of guy at all. But this was the first tragedy that i thoroughly enjoyed and made junior year english less painful.



10. THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck- The book i chose as an independent reading project. I knew that this was a classic so I figured choosing it as an assignment would force me to read it. About two chapters in I knew why its considered one of the greats. Its a period novel with great history of the US during the depression with incredibly vivid detail. it has a great plot that's balanced by Steinbeck's beautiful vignettes. This is a book everyone must read before they die. 


I like hearing from you, fellow reader. please keep the comments and questions coming! 


1 comment: